So, as I mentioned in my earlier posts, the day I hit 30, was the moment I knew that my body isn’t like how it used to be. I get headaches before my period, recovery from parties takes about a week and my memory isn’t as sharp as it used to be. But hey. I believe age is just a number and our bodies respond to trainings. Just like animals. Yes, just like animals.
So, the reason I haven’t been updating my blog in awhile is because I haven’t been well. For 3 weeks I was down with a very bad viral infection. I wasn’t hospitalized, but I am sure if I went to the hospital I would be.
It all started with a bad flu and cough. And I’m talking about green mucus and phlegm. So, I thought it was just a common flu and fever. I took some paracetamol, and continued my days like how I would. And by that I mean, I’d workout at 5 am, go to work, come back and sleep. And then I lost my voice. I do client servicing for a leaving. And it was difficult to talk to my clients without my voice! For 3 days, I could barely talk, and hubby told me I sounded like Daisy Duck. But he took good care of me, and I’m grateful for that. So, again, I took some paracetamol, antihistamine, and cough syrup, and rest throughout the weekend. Week 2 came, and I was still ill. My voice was back, but my body was aching, and I was still coughing. I am someone who would avoid antibiotics as much as I could, but this time I gave up. I went to the doctor, and he prescribed me with some antibiotics. He even said, “So, you’re only here NOW”.
So week 3 came, I finished all my meds, and I was still ill. My cough was better, but I would get a temperature if I don’t take paracetamol. Fucked up right? At this point, I was still living my days as if I wasn’t ill. But I was so sick of getting up with a heavy head and chest. So I went to the doctor again, and he prescribed me with a stronger antibiotics. This time I told myself loud and clear that I have to beat this virus.
So, for a few days, I stopped working out, ate a lot of soup, take a lot of naps, and ate my medicine. The antibiotics was so strong that I could barely sleep at night. And I was already feeling paranoid when I wasn’t feeling any better on the second day. So, after 3 days, I was back on my feet.
Here’s the moral of the story guys:
- Do not workout when you’re ill. I thought I could just ‘run it off’ and it’ll go away. When you’re unwell, your body is telling you to rest. So rest.
- Consume a lot of liquid. This includes soup, water, juices. But not green tea. I love green tea. I even sell them. But green tea doesn’t help with fever. Drink light black tea with lemon instead. If possible, drink Tulsi tea. Tulsi helps to reduce fever.
- Take a sick leave. One mistake I made was to continue working. But that was the wrong move. One, I might spread the virus to my colleagues (though I wore a mask at the office), two, I was just straining myself. Rest well so that you recover well. If you’re worried about your work, think about it this way. Its better for your to take a few days off rather than giving shit work when you’re ill.
- Your body has changed. Ok guys, lets face the fact. Remember when you were much younger and you had a fever, all you had to do was take a couple of Paracetamol, and sleep it off and you’ll feel better after that? Nah. Just doesn’t work that way much anymore. Once you’re in your 30’s, your body needs proper rest to recover. Sad to say, its just the way our body works.
- Go to the doctor. And if he/she says you need antibiotics, take it. Look, I live in a world where if I could avoid any chemical or drug usage, I would. I am not that extreme, like I still vaccinate my child and cats. I won’t even let my daughter mixed around with non vaccinated kids. Fuck that. But if I could avoid chemical drugs like antibiotics, antihistamine, paracetamol and things like that, I would. I would choose Essential Oil over any of those drugs at any time. But sometimes, when you need to take those drugs, you just need too. I know that antibiotics are not good for you, if taken too much. So just try to control your dosage. Like if you take antibiotics now, and if you get sick again in another couple of months time, try not to take anymore of it. The best thing to do is to talk to your doctor. But a good doctor will never prescribe to much of antibiotics to a patient. So choose a good doctor.